Situation ‘under control’ after prisoners take over Ware State Prison in Waycross, stream live to Facebook

Aug 2, 2020 at 7:59 AM EDT | Updated Aug 2, 2020 at 8:56 AM EDT

WAYCROSS – Late Saturday into early Sunday, prisoners from inside the Ware State Prison in Waycross, GA took to Facebook Live asking for help after a riot broke out, leaving at least three inmates and two guards with non-life threatening injuries.

Officials say a riot broke out at Ware State Prison near Waycross. As of 2:15 a.m., the situation appeared to be under control. “The incident is under control and the facility is currently on lockdown,” The Georgia Department of Corrections said in a statement.

A press release distributed Sunday morning by the Georgia Department of Corrections reads: “The Georgia Department of Corrections (GDC) is investigating a disturbance caused by inmates at Ware State Prison in Waycross, Ga., which occurred at approximately 10:45 p.m., August 1. The cause of the disturbance is unknown at this time.

Two staff members received minor non life-threatening injuries, and three inmates received non life-threatening injuries during the incident. A golf cart was set on fire and several windows were broken, but no major damage to the facility has been reported.  Officers deployed non-lethal ammunition, and the incident was brought under control.  The facility was locked down at approximately 1:00 a.m., August 2.  At no time was public safety at risk.”

There were Facebook posts circulating that reported several of the prisoners managed to escape, this was not confirmed by the Georgia Department of Corrections.

This comes just two weeks after state officials released a statement which read, “Special Agents with the Georgia Department of Corrections’ (GDC) Office of Professional Standards are investigating the death of an inmate at Ware State Prison in Waycross, Georgia as a suspected homicide. 

Agents have reason to believe inmate Robert Wilson (GDC # 1000264068) died as a result of injuries sustained during an altercation with another inmate on July 17.  Wilson was pronounced deceased at a local hospital by the county coroner at approximately 12:47 p.m., July 17.  The GDC is conducting an investigation into the death as standard procedure. 

Wilson was sentenced in Fulton County in 2010 to serve 20 years for Voluntary Manslaughter.”

It is unclear if the two incidents are related.

The videos below are displayed in no particular order: