Remove ads by Supporting Independent News
Written by: A. Smith
Published September 4, 2025 @ 9:02 AM ET
DOUGLAS COUNTY, Ga. – Prosecutors say a 19-year-old man who shot and killed Malachi Mitchell during a gun sale earlier this year will not face criminal charges, concluding the evidence shows he acted in self-defense.
Douglas County District Attorney Dalia Racine announced the decision Tuesday during a press conference, saying the driver, whose name has not been released, was the target of an attempted robbery.
“This case is a tragic reminder that a gun sale between two parties late at night, especially between people who do not know each other well, is not a good idea,” Racine said.
The shooting happened in January after Mitchell, 21, arranged to sell an AR pistol to the 19-year-old acquaintance for $800, investigators said. The two knew each other from school and had been communicating about the sale.
According to Racine, the driver told investigators he became suspicious when Mitchell tried to change the meeting location multiple times but ultimately agreed to proceed. They met inside a vehicle, where Mitchell handed over the firearm after removing the magazine.
The driver said he gave Mitchell the cash, but Mitchell wanted the magazine reinserted. When the driver refused, investigators say Mitchell reached toward his waistband and told the driver, “I got something for you.”
Believing Mitchell may have had another weapon, the driver fired a single shot using his own pistol.
After the shooting, the driver fled with Mitchell still inside the vehicle, telling investigators he feared Mitchell’s associates might be nearby. He also said he was terrified to call police as a young Black man with a body in his car.
He eventually phoned family members while driving. A short time later, a deputy stopped him for a traffic violation. According to Racine, the driver immediately yelled that he had been set up. Deputies reported he appeared terrified, kept his hands raised in the air, and refused to lower them even to put his car in park.
Mitchell was found dead in the front passenger seat.
The driver’s relatives later told investigators he called them that night, frantic and scared, to explain what had happened. Prosecutors also said one family member indicated they believed Mitchell may have been planning to rob the driver.
Mitchell’s mother, however, has said she believes her son was murdered. She has previously told Channel 2 Action News that she planned to consult with a civil rights group before commenting further.
On Tuesday morning, prosecutors informed both Mitchell’s mother and the driver about the decision not to pursue charges. Racine said the driver was relieved, but Mitchell’s family remained dissatisfied.
Racine said investigators made multiple attempts to speak with others who may have had knowledge of the shooting, but those efforts were unsuccessful. She emphasized that after reviewing the evidence, her office determined the driver’s account was consistent with self-defense under Georgia law.
