Remove ads by Supporting Independent News
Written by: A. Smith
Published December 1, 2025 @ 1:50 PM ET
FULTON COUNTY, Ga. – The head of the Prosecuting Attorneys Council of Georgia moved to dismiss the Fulton County election interference case against former President Donald Trump and his co-defendants, saying continuing the prosecution would not serve the public.
Peter Skandalakis, the council’s executive director, filed the motion Wednesday morning. He assumed responsibility for the case on Nov. 14 after efforts to appoint an outside prosecutor were unsuccessful.
“In my professional judgment, the citizens of Georgia are not served by pursuing this case in full for another five to ten years,” Skandalakis said in a statement.
Trump responded hours later in a post on Truth Social, writing that “LAW and JUSTICE have prevailed in the Great State of Georgia” and calling the prosecution an “unconstitutional” and politically motivated effort. His statement criticized Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis and others involved in the original case.
Democratic Party of Georgia Chair Charlie Bailey condemned the decision, calling it “a travesty and a slap in the face to Georgia voters.” Bailey noted that multiple defendants had already entered guilty pleas and said the dismissal “denies the people of Georgia the accountability they deserve.”
In a longer written explanation, Skandalakis said the case was “on life support,” adding that his decision was not influenced by politics but by his interpretation of Georgia law. He referenced plea agreements accepted by several defendants, including Sidney Powell, Scott Hall, Kenneth Chesebro, and Jenna Ellis.
Skandalakis wrote that continuing to pursue remaining counts against other defendants “would constitute an inefficient use of state resources” given that primary participants had already resolved their cases through plea deals.
The dismissal drew immediate praise from Trump’s legal team and state GOP leadership.
“The political persecution of President Trump by disqualified DA Fani Willis is finally over,” Trump attorney Steve Sadow said in a statement, adding that “a fair and impartial prosecutor has put an end to this lawfare.”
Georgia Republican Party Chair Josh McKoon similarly welcomed the move, saying Skandalakis had “done what justice demanded” in ending what he described as a “politically weaponized criminal case.”
