Remove ads by Supporting Independent News
Written by: A. Smith
Published September 16, 2025 @ 9:53 PM ET
WALKER COUNTY, Ga. – A 26-year-old Walker County man has been sentenced to life in prison after admitting to the repeated sexual abuse of three young relatives, prosecutors announced.
On Aug. 28, 2025, Josiah Matthew Backus pleaded guilty to multiple counts of aggravated child molestation and child molestation involving his 6- and 8-year-old nieces and his 5-year-old nephew. He was sentenced to life in prison, with the first 35 years to be served without the possibility of parole.
The case began in August 2024, when a family friend reported that Backus had confessed to abusing the children. The Walker County Sheriff’s Office immediately launched an investigation. Detective Eddie Hill coordinated forensic interviews through the Children’s Advocacy Center, where Senior Forensic Interviewer Holly Kittle spoke with each child. All three gave consistent accounts, describing repeated sexual assaults by their uncle while they lived in the same home.
During his own interview with investigators, Backus admitted to the abuse. He later entered a guilty plea in court.
Chief Assistant District Attorney Lynsay Chapman prosecuted the case on behalf of the Lookout Mountain Judicial Circuit District Attorney’s Office.
District Attorney Clayton M. Fuller praised the work of investigators and the bravery of the children in coming forward.
“This sentence sends a clear message: those who prey upon our children will face the full force of justice in this community. We will not tolerate predators who destroy the innocence of the most vulnerable,” Fuller said in a statement. “Thanks to the courage of these children, the tireless work of Detective Hill, and the exceptional advocacy of the Children’s Advocacy Center — especially Executive Director Anthony Dye and Senior Forensic Interviewer Holly Kittle — this man will never again harm another child.”
Backus remains in state custody to begin serving his sentence.
Officer’s Narrative:
[Please note: The following is a direct transcription from the official initial incident report. The Georgia Gazette does not fix any spelling or grammatical errors that may exist. Any changes or redactions made by our staff are placed inside brackets. Some errors may exist. All subjects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The topics discussed may be sensitive to some readers. Discretion is advised.]
I was dispatched to meet with the complainant at the sheriff’s office in reference to a sexual assault. He told me the suspect began texting the complainant early this morning in reference to making allegations of a sexual assault and threats of suicide. The suspect told him that he would die in prison, they would hurt him, and he did not want to be on the sex offender registry.
The complainant said the text messages started at approximately 0700 hours and continued through until 1225 hours today, he needed to report this as something had occurred on Monday July 29, 2024 and brought all of this to light and he was afraid the suspect would harm himself.
Deputy McNichols and I went to the incident location and met with the suspect. He appeared to be upset with his upper lip quivering and not really wanting to talk with me. I asked if he knew why I was there and he said that he did.
I told him I had a few questions that I need to ask him. I asked if he wished to harm himself and he said that he didn’t. I asked him again and he said that he wanted to harm himself. At this time I stopped any further questions about the crime as I was going to place him in protective custody for his safety and mine. I handcuffed him behind his back, checked for fit and double locked them. I did this because of the nature of the accusations.
Once at the hospital I removed the handcuffs once a room had been cleaned. I completed the necessary committal form and released him to the ER staff.
This incident is pending at this time as I have no further leads or information to follow up with.
[End of Narrative]
