Browse our site 100% ad-free:
Login or Subscribe

Jeffrey Johnson


Date of Booking:

Reason(s) For Booking:



Officer’s Narrative:
[Please note: The following is a direct transcription from the official initial incident report. The Georgia Gazette does not fix any spelling or grammatical errors that may exist. Any changes or redactions made by our staff are placed inside brackets. Some errors may exist. All subjects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The topics discussed may be sensitive to some readers. Discretion is advised.]

[NARRATIVE #1 on October 20, 2022]

On Thursday, October 20, 2022 at approximately 8:11 p.m., I, Sergeant Lash, made contact with a female in the Sheriff’s Office Lobby who was attempting to find a deputy for information to get a Temporary Protective Order in reference to a domestic incident that occurred earlier this date.

As I was at the Sheriff’s Office in reference to an earlier case, I observed a female speaking with the central jail deputy requesting assistance in obtaining a Temporary Protective Order, (TPO).

I made contact with the female who briefly told me she was involved in a domestic incident earlier this date with her husband with her children present. The woman informed me that she did not want a report, nor for her husband to be arrested, she just wanted the TPO. I informed the female that I would give her contact information for Investigations Sergeant Brandy Newsome for further guidance and that I would return shortly to take a report if she wanted it. I gave the woman Sgt. Newsome’s county issued cell phone number before I continued to dispatch to gather information for a prior case.

Upon my return to the lobby, I could hear the woman, identified as Mrs. [VICTIM #1], speaking with Sgt. Newsome. I then exited the lobby to recover my patrol vehicle from another location in the parking lot. I parked in front of the lobby and continued to write my prior incident report. Soon I was contacted by Sgt. Newsome that Mrs. [VICTIM #1] wanted a report. Sgt. Newsome stated she had received cell phone pictures from Mrs. [VICTIM #1] showing injuries incurred from the earlier incident, but requested I take clear photographs of injuries on Mrs. [VICTIM #1]’s neck.

I made my way to the lobby and spoke with Mrs. [VICTIM #1]. Once I gathered Mrs. [VICTIM #1]’s identifying information, I secured two photographs of her neck with my county issued cell phone, which were then sent to Sgt. Newsome. Mrs. [VICTIM #1] had marks on her neck and elbows that I could observe at this time.

Mrs. [VICTIM #1] stated that her husband, Mr. Jeffrey Johnson had started drinking at approximately 10:00 a.m. this morning when he first woke up. Mrs. [VICTIM #1] also alleged that Mr. Johnson was able to convince a Door Dash driver to stop by a liquor store to pick up a “handle” of vodka before delivering the food he ordered. Mrs. [VICTIM #1] stated her husband was highly intoxicated by the time she was getting ready to leave for work. Mrs. [VICTIM #1] was concerned that he was in no condition to take care of their two juvenile children, [REDACTED] (3 years old), and [REDACTED] (1 year old).

Mrs. [VICTIM #1] stated that Mr. Johnson attempted to hide a bottle of liquor in the garage as the argument continued. Mrs. [VICTIM #1] stated that is when Mr. Johnson threw her on the floor and was on top of her, pushing his forearm on her throat to the point she was struggling to breathe, and used her hair to push her head into the floor. No bumps were present on the back of her head when I spoke with her. Mrs. [VICTIM #1] stated she attempted to fight off Mr. Johnson in the garage, and may have scratched his face.

Mrs. [VICTIM #1] further stated that once she got away from Mr. Johnson, the two children were out in the living room area and she locked them into a bedroom to remove them from the scene of their fighting and for their safety. Mrs. [VICTIM #1] stated that Mr. Johnson would periodically put hands on her though he never hit her. Mrs. [VICTIM #1] stated that as both parties were back to the doorway to the garage, Mr. Johnson began to choke her by grabbing her shirt collar and pulling it tighter to the point where she felt she was going to pass out.

Mrs. [VICTIM #1] stated Mr. Johnson had grabbed her cell phone, but she was able to get it back. She also stated that he grabbed her keys to prevent her from leaving, but she had gotten those back as well. Mrs. [VICTIM #1] stated she was finally able to get her belongings and get out of the house where she accessed the bedroom the children were in through an exterior window. Mrs. [VICTIM #1] stated she got the children in her vehicle and drove them to her mother’s house. I handed Mrs. [VICTIM #1] a contact card with a case number on it, and she left the Sheriff’s Office with her mother.

I traveled to the residence located at [1500 BLOCK] Westminster Way in Madison, Georgia to make contact with Mr. Johnson. Once I approached the door, I could observe Mr. Johnson on the couch watching television. When I knocked, Mr. Johnson turned around to look and I illuminated my uniform with my flash light for him to see. Mr. Johnson approached the door and refused to open, stating “no thank you, no thank you” before walking into a back room where he could no longer be seen.

I contacted Captain Brandon Sellers as I already had a charge of aggravated assault based on the marks left on Mrs. [VICTIM #1]’s neck and her testimony that she was about to pass out from being choked. I contacted Associate Magistrate Judge Julie Ruark to notify her of the situation and that I was going to complete a warrant for aggravated assault prior to any potential forced action to take Mr. Johnson into custody. I completed one warrant for the count of aggravated assault. Judge Ruark signed and brought the warrant to the location for us to have in hand.

Captain Sellers arranged for other off duty units to arrive at the scene and attempted to speak with Mr. Johnson via telephone to come out of the house, which he still refused to do. Mr. Johnson stated he was going to call his lawyer and was given an amount of time to do so. After all units were on scene and Mr. Johnson was still delaying units at the front door, a small team including myself moved to the rear of the house in preparation to make entry. After we notified Captain Sellers we were in position, the call was made to breech the door. Entry was forced through a glass door on the rear of the house, breaking the planes of glass and wooden frame of the door itself. Mr. Johnson was taken into custody without further incident.

Mr. Johnson had fresh, visible marks to his face and left arm. Mr. Johnson also had a large gash on his right ankle area, though it appeared to be older. I secured pictures of Mr. Johnson’s injuries with my county issued cell phone, and sent them via county email to Sgt. Newsome.

Mr. Johnson stated that he was the only one who had marks on him and that he didn’t know what happened because it all happened so fast. Mr. Johnson stated Mrs. [VICTIM #1] “just started going crazy” and “it’s like her time of the month”. Mr. Johnson stated he had just started a fire and was hanging out with his family and she “just went ballistic”. Mr. Johnson stated he did not hit her which is consistent with Mrs. [VICTIM #1]’s statement at the Sheriff’s Office.

Mr. Johnson was secured in the rear seat of my patrol vehicle. Sgt. Newsome contacted Mrs. [VICTIM #1] to let her know the status of the incident. I transported Mr. Johnson to the jail where he was turned over to jail staff without incident. The completed aggravated assault warrant was executed at the jail. I completed an arrest affidavit for that charge as well as one count of cruelty to children in the third degree. I will secure the warrant later the next date, October 21, 2022.

[End of Narrative]

[NARRATIVE #2 on October 21, 2022]

On Friday, October 21, 2022, I, Sergeant Brandy Newsome, added a warrant for Battery, Family Violence.

[End of Narrative]